Saturday, January 5, 2013

Life of Pi


Life of Pi
Life of Pi - movie poster

Finally saw Life of Pi in 3D and enjoyed it immensely. Having read the book sometime ago, I was aware of the story and its astonishing conclusion, so the movie didn't quite blow me away in the same manner as the book. However, it was a rather faithful adaptation and I'd read that the author, Yann Martel, was fairly happy with Ang Lee's rendition. When I read the book, the ending left me with a profound sense of loss, as though the rug had been pulled out from under me. It made me ponder why I believe what I do and if maybe all of us need to create elaborate mental and emotional constructs to help us get through life. It may be religious, it may be spiritual, or simply what we think is rational. We have a choice, but we don't often realize it. Whatever helps us cope is what we rely on and that's often the best we can manage, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment